A resume should be a brief, accurate description of your work history and abilities. The length should be kept to one page if at all possible, or at the most two pages. Personal information (age, height, weight, marital status, etc.) is not required and should not be included. Similarly, personal interests should not be included unless they relate directly to the position you are seeking (i.e. avid skier applying for a position with a ski manufacturer). Professional experience should include all skills and computer hardware/software utilized at each company.
Tips on what to include or not include in your resume:
- Your name, address, phone number and e-mail address at the top of the page.
- It is not necessary to include an objective unless you are gearing your job search to only one industry or position.
- Information about your education should include the name of the school, the city and state where it is located, the degree or certificate you earned, and the date you completed the program.
- Your professional experience should include the name and location (city and state) of the company where you worked, the dates you worked there (month and year) and the title of the position you held there.
- You should briefly describe the responsibilities of your position using action words (managed, created, etc.). Include any accomplishments such as increasing sales, exceeding goals, etc.
- Your resume should say "References Available Upon Request" at the bottom.